A enjoyable first day of the Zurich Classic 2022 resulted in an attention-grabbing rating. With 10 of the highest 20 golfers in the world in this space, it wasn't till late in the primary set that one of the top-ranked duos – Patrick Cantlay and Xander Schauffele – started dominating the TPC Louisiana board. . And then they took over the occasion with a match record rating of 59 on Thursday.
The Ryder Cup duo lead by one level after the primary round and have now turn into heavier-than-ever favorites to win a title that eluded them final yr, however looks as if an ideal alternative for each of them. Thursday was one of two four-ball classes, so the rating dipped into the low 60s (and under) with Friday's alternate shot format certain to inflate these scores heading into the weekend.
Let's check out how Cantlay and Schauffele set their record round, who else is in competition and what else occurred on Thursday in one of essentially the most attention-grabbing tournaments the PGA has to provide. Tour performs all year long.
Xander Schauele/Patrick Cantlay (-13): The favorites have been who we thought they have been. Cantlay and Schauffele entered as co-favorites with Collin Morikawa and Viktor Hovland, then got here out and dropped a 13-under 59 from the sector. After popping out in 29, their round stalled a bit halfway by means of the again 9 earlier than birdie the final three in a row for the magic quantity.
While it is not totally uncommon for a best-ball workforce (particularly one whose two gamers are ranked in the highest 12 in the world) to crack 60, it is nonetheless particular when it occurs and a lot so. greater than ever at this occasion.
“It matters to me,” Schauffele stated of the 59 that set a brand new factors record on the Zurich Classic. “I've by no means completed it earlier than. I do not suppose Pat did both. I'll depend it in my e book. »
The greater story right here is that Cantlay and Schauffele have a head begin on a discipline in which they have been already co-favorites. We'll take a more in-depth have a look at these numbers under, however it'll take fairly a little bit of effort from a workforce deeper in this pack to crush two of the very best gamers in the world over the subsequent 54 holes, particularly with two rounds. different hearth to come. This alternate shot format is identical format in which Cantlay and Schauffele went 2-0-0 in final yr's Ryder Cup
“It's only the first quarter,” Cantlay stated. “So the buffer, we're solely one step forward, however we're going right into a Friday format that we actually like. I feel Alex and I actually just like the alternate shot. It's one of our strengths for the week, and we're actually trying ahead to it. »
2. Matthew NeSmith/Taylor Moore (-12)
T3. Aaron Rai/David (*59*), Tommy Gainey/Robert Garrigus, Doc Redman/Sam Ryder (-11)
T6. Sam Burns/Billy Horschel, Bubba Watson/Harold Varner III, Cameron Tringale/Wyndhan Clark (-10)
The T6 trio is one to watch. These three bands performed in the afternoon and appeared nice. This is probably going the place the firepower will come from over the subsequent few days. Burns and Horschel are notably attention-grabbing as a result of they completed two playoff strokes right here final yr and have performed terrific particular person golf lately (they each entered the highest 20 this week in this space by variety of strokes gained in throughout their final 20 laps).
Rick Gehman and Sia Nejad break down Xander Schauffele and Patrick Cantlay's finest 59 ball on the 2022 Zurich Classic. Follow and hear to The First Cut on Apple Podcasts and Spotify.
two takeaway meals
1. Golf has no age: The yr Collin Morikawa was born, Jay Haas turned 44. They shot the identical rating Thursday at TPC Louisiana. The eldest Haas (making his 799th PGA Tour begin!) teamed up along with his son, Bill, to shoot 7 cents. The 68-year-old nine-time PGA Tour champion birdied 4 instances on his personal ball, and the Haas duo are in the highest 25 heading into the second round. Morikawa and enjoying accomplice Viktor Hovland (their mixed age barely reaches 20 from Haas) shot 30 out however closed with a disappointing 35 on the again 9 to shoot 65. They are very a lot alive for the second round and ought to thrive in alternate hearth on Friday.
2. Incredible timing: In Files ‘you certain cannot make these things up', Robert Garrigus enters competition in the weekthat he'll possible go play in the LIV Golf Invitational – a rival league to the PGA Tour – is unbelievable. Garrigus hasn't had a prime 10 since 2018, however he and accomplice Tommy Gainey have birdied 11 between them and now discover themselves on the hunt for a match the place Garrigus – if he stays on the prime – will certainly be questioned repeatedly about his future on the PGA Tour. It's not a foul factor for the Tour as a result of Garrigus is actually not a family identify, however it might be an incredible factor if he went on and someway gained by making it to the league. supported by Saudi Arabia.
quote of the day
Collin Morikawa and Viktor Hovland have been requested about Jay Haas making his 799th PGA Tour begin, and they joked about how one of their friends could quickly crush him.
Hovland: “We have a good distance to go.
Morikawa: “No, I am unable to think about that. »
Hovland: “That's cool. He should have seen stuff. It should have superb tales. That's a variety of occasions. »
Morikawa: “Sungjae Im could be shut to that, although. »
Hovland: “He's in the rhythm”
Statistics of the day
It's onerous to beat this one.
New odds and picks
Here's a have a look at the brand new odds after 18 holes, courtesy of Caesars Sportsbook.
- Patrick Cantlay/Xander Schauele: 2-1
- Billy Horschel/Sam Burns: 7-1
- Scottie Scheffler/Ryan Palmer: 14-1
- Harold Varner III/Bubba Watson: 14-1
- Viktor Hovland/Collin Morikawa: 16-1
That appears about proper, and I just like the groups decrease on this chart. While Cantlay and Schauffele look possible to be in the sport till Sunday evening, it is simple sufficient to slip into alternate hearth and publish massive numbers. I really like the Scheffler/Palmer duo at 14-1 in addition to Hovland/Morikawa at 16-1 contemplating how simply they may shoot 57 or 58 on Saturday in the opposite four-ball format of the week.