While the shock of the first wave of Covid and the have to handle sufferers being contaminated had resulted in 74% of the operations initially deliberate for March and April 2020 being deprogrammed *, a brand new investigation ** from the UFC -That Choosing exhibits that the scenario is much from being resolved.
Indeed, 39% of the operations deliberate between March 2020 and March 2021 had nonetheless not taken place in April 2021, together with 27% which had not been the topic of any reprogramming. As for the operations rescheduled however not but carried out, it’s to be feared that the new appointments – on common positioned 7 months after the preliminary date – is not going to all be honored.
In truth, 1 / 4 of the sufferers questioned who needed to endure deprogramming had their operation postponed at the least twice.
Negative penalties for eight out of ten sufferers
The persistence of delays in remedy is all the extra worrying as in 81% of instances, they induced detrimental penalties for sufferers. Beyond the anxieties and stress, 20% of respondents stress that the deprogramming of their operation has had the impact of worsening their well being drawback and 5% level to a delay in the detection of a illness.
Worse, these aggravations fairly often relate to critical pathologies: half of the unscheduled operations warranted full hospitalization. In addition, a latest examine *** exhibits that kidney transplant exercise fell by 30% in 2020.
Exceptional measures are nonetheless sluggish to be taken
The option to switch covid sufferers to public hospitals in different areas, to the detriment of locations nonetheless obtainable in private clinics, could have raised questions on the capacities for cooperation between private and public throughout the second wave ****.
In actuality, it stems from a progressive specialization of the public in the reception of sufferers with covid: public hospitals have supplied as much as 88% of care since the begin of the second wave of covid, greater than throughout the first wave *****.
In order to shortly meet up with the delays in care linked to huge deprogramming, it’s essential to take note of the specificities of every sector to attain an environment friendly distribution of duties between public and private.
Since the public sector appears higher suited to the reception of COVID instances, it’s pressing to utilize the capacities of private institutions in the administration of unscheduled operations. Coordination work must be carried out, in a position to direct customers to all the locations obtainable.
While the deprogramming of operations persist for greater than a 12 months after the begin of the well being disaster, and as a result of the method of the summer time interval which is able to restrict hospital capability, the UFC-Que Choisir asks the well being authorities, and extra notably to regional well being companies:
– Ensure that every one the locations obtainable in well being care institutions are used in order to shortly make up for the backlog;
– Encourage the involvement of the private sector in taking cost of unscheduled operations, at no extra value to customers.
(1) https://www.quechoisir.org/action-ufc-que-choisir-enquete-sur-les-soins-deprogrammes-pendant-la-crise-du-retard-dans-la-reprogrammation-des-soins -cancelled-during-containment-n81027 /
(2) Online survey performed from April 7 to twenty, 2021 – 844 respondents
(3) Cf. FHF examine (Fédération Hospitalière de France) knowledge on COVID stays and the penalties of hospital saturation and resuscitation – Press workshop March 30, 2021
(4) By means of illustration, the president of the regional federation of private hospitalization was shocked in October 2020 by the indisputable fact that “the Nîmes CHU maintains its transfers outside the region while in Nîmes, the Polyclinic Great South and the Franciscans, alerted in the crisis cell, increased their resuscitation capacities “.
(5) See FHF examine