– Yes, the target is to meet the golf equipment. I contemplate that I’m a president of the sphere and never of a salon. I’m higher on a tennis court docket speaking with golf equipment, managers, academics and with young individuals who need to know the way dwelling in Corsica can attain the excessive stage. Since I used to be elected, we’ve got toured the leagues round France but additionally created a nationwide council of academics, we’ve got introduced collectively a nationwide council of presidents of departmental councils and established many hyperlinks and contacts with the sphere.
– You took over as head of the federation only a 12 months in the past: you took over from Corsica Bernard Giudicelli, what do you propose to do for the event of tennis on the island territory?
– There has already been a outstanding job, the services are very lovely. President Philippe Medori is very invested. There is a membership challenge in Lucciana, one other challenge in Ajaccio. What we are able to do is assist finance them in order that they succeed. We can even present assist on the detection of young individuals, conserving young individuals so long as doable in optimum coaching circumstances. There are good ones right here, of excessive stage, so we’ve got to have the opportunity to supply them options in order not to have to uproot them. Our place is not to deliver all the great young individuals again to Paris, it is higher to discover appropriate coaching locations in every territory.
– Exactly, is tennis nonetheless a sport that draws young individuals?
– What is shocking is that tennis has benefited from the Covid because the variety of licensees has elevated by 13%. Corsica is a great instance since for 10 years it is the one league which will increase its variety of licensees whereas in mainland it was fairly lowering. Tennis is standard right here, it is performed by girls and boys in the identical method. On the opposite hand, we’ve got a bit issue in retaining them. I believe it’s the spirit of the instances that wishes that. We have a tendency to transfer on shortly. But I additionally suppose that we’ve got to enhance on this stage.
– How? ‘Or’ What ?
– Along with our academics, membership leaders want to pay attention to this. Compensation should even be monetary so as to retain young individuals and preserve them.
– When you had been elected, you talked about placing friendliness, humanity and pleasure again into the golf equipment… how?
– By being right here, within the area. By speaking, exchanging with individuals, being shut to them. Tonight we’ll celebration on the tennis court docket, I’ll play with them. Then we’ll go have a drink, have a chew to eat. Tennis is for 99% the social bond, the pleasure of assembly, of being amongst mates, of constructing a double. For 1% it’s competitors and excessive stage.
– In Corsica, are there young talents who may attain the highest stage?
– Yes, there are in all territories, solely it is difficult to make them emerge, but not solely in Corsica. It’s as a result of our system is not good. I simply noticed a young 8 12 months previous who has potential, his dad and mom are totally behind him, but in some unspecified time in the future we could have to discover him a construction. We have to establish the talents, that we make them progress with good academics who make them need, the eagerness to play tennis. Later, they’ll have to have a coach, a coach, a director after which a group round him.
– Another drawback affecting tennis as we speak is vaccination. In an interview with the BBC, Novak Djokovic stated he would fairly miss tournaments like Roland-Garros than get vaccinated, Frenchman Pierre-Hugues Herbet additionally refuses. As president of the French tennis federation, what do you suppose?
– We will apply authorities measures. We see that the measures change. Not very way back I learn that it was doable to abolish the vaccination cross in France. Let’s watch out, let’s wait for presidency measures. What I would like is for them to have the opportunity to play all of the tournaments, participate in competitions, in order that we are able to welcome them to Roland-Garros this 12 months. If that does not change, Nadal stated it: the occasions are stronger than the gamers “. At the Australian Open, Djokovic was not there, it gave rise to an distinctive match. There was a really good winner.
But He’s all the time been lacking gamers by accidents and that hasn’t modified a lot. In any case, 98% of ATP gamers are vaccinated, but I nonetheless hope that everybody might be there for the present.