Listening to the responses of Horacio Arruda and Geneviève Guilbault, in a press briefing on Wednesday, a wave of optimism momentarily swept across the golf industry across Quebec.
• Read also: Towards the opening of the golf courses in May
“The analysis (of the file) is in progress. The opening should be announced shortly, “said Dr. Arruda, national director of public health, when asked about the plans to give the go-ahead for the start of the golf season.
The Deputy Prime Minister's knowing smile also made a splash in the golf community. In any event, she added that the government will make announcements over the next few weeks.
“We can say that, we are aware that summer is coming. We have to be realistic, so there will be announcements as soon as possible, “said Minister Guilbault.
“There’s excitement in the air even though nothing has been announced yet,” launched Club General Manager Château-Bromont and president of the Association of Quebec Golf Clubs, Martin Ducharme. We must remain positive. “
Arruda outlined the benefits of playing golf, as it is an outdoor sport. “It is not a collective sport and there is a possibility of distancing. This is being analyzed and the opening will arrive in a logical sequence. “
Third of May
While golf is allowed in six Canadian provinces and Saskatchewan will kick off its season on May 15, both Arruda and Guilbault have dared to advance a date for Quebec.
Ten minutes after the government press briefing, a well-informed source of Quebec's “sport deconfinement plan” confided to Newspaper that the land would receive an imminent green light, unable to advance an exact date due to the delay in public health approval. In the evening, another source close to the file hopefully advanced an opening, according to the regions, during the third week of May.
Among the telltale signs of the season's impending launch, public health officials allowed the Industry Round Table on Tuesday to broadcast its protocol for opening golf clubs.
The Journal revealed the main guidelines of this guide in its April 27 edition. It contains hygiene guidelines, restrictions and changes to the sports label to meet health standards.
This approach therefore allows clubs to make adequate preparations before welcoming golfers. This protocol is only waiting for the official health seal and the corrections to be made, if necessary. All documents are ready in the industry.
“She is a new bearer of hope. We can not wait to know the real date, said the director general of Golf Quebec, Jean-Pierre Beaulieu. We really think golf will herald the first wave of sports to revive. We expected to receive government approval last week. We didn't receive it. It was a big blow, but we got the job done and made the right recommendations. ”
The office of the Minister responsible for Education and responsible for sports, Isabelle Charest, once again refused the interview request of the Newspaper. We repeat that it is working on different recovery scenarios with partners.