The future Climate Law supplies for environmental labeling which ought to inform customers in regards to the ecological footprint of food products. As a part of the decision for tasks launched by the Ministry of Ecology and the Ecological Transition Agency (Ademe) to develop this display, our collective bringing collectively associations of customers, environmental safety, protection organizations animal welfare and organic stakeholders helps the Planet-Score. The results of work based mostly on independence and transparency, this rating covers the primary environmental impacts of agro-food manufacturing.
So that apples from sustainable agriculture are rated higher than these boosted with pesticides and artificial fertilizers
The Climate Law supplies for environmental labeling primarily based mostly on Life Cycle Analysis, a technique which takes under consideration the totally different levels of a product’s life and their results on the atmosphere.However, it at the moment doesn’t measure sure damaging impacts , particularly these associated to the usage of pesticides on human well being and doesn’t embrace injury to biodiversity.
Without taking these points under consideration, the usage of LCA alone would result in favoring products from intensive manufacturing and breeding (massively utilizing pesticides, artificial fertilizers, antibiotics, and so forth.).
Taking under consideration biodiversity, human well being and animal welfare
Presented a few days in the past by the Institute of Organic Agriculture and Food (ITAB) and its companions (SAYARI and VGF (1)), the Planet-score permits to right biases and shortcomings of the life cycle evaluation (LCA). It is distinguished by 5 main strengths:
- It relies on a scientific experience in-depth and multidisciplinary
- It makes it doable to fill the shortcomings of the LCA to higher assess the impression of pesticides on human well being and the atmosphere
- It encompasses the damaging and constructive impacts of agriculture on the biodiversity relying on the manufacturing strategies (organic, intensive, intensive)
- It relies on the latest scientific information on local weather impression food
- It supplies further data on the animal wellbeing, which is likely one of the challenges of sustainable agriculture and can’t be disconnected from ecological points
A easy and explanatory format, which might be taken under consideration by 81% of customers and which strongly mobilizes them
Its format is easy however not simplistic: just like the Nutri-score for dietary high quality, it supplies an aggregated rating on a scale from A to E, whereas giving particulars of the primary impacts by way of local weather, biodiversity, and impression of pesticides. The Planet-Score additionally supplies further data on animal welfare.
Labeling supported by 15 NGOs and organic stakeholders
Our organizations take into account that the Planet-score is a scientifically sound environmental labeling proposal that may enable customers to simply establish the totally different environmental impacts of food. Tests carried out with citizen-customers present that the Planet-Score classifies meals in keeping with probably the most sensible agricultural and food transition eventualities. As such, it constitutes a reliable and efficient lever to speed up the dedication of customers and due to this fact operators in direction of extra sustainable food.
We name on the general public authorities to:
- Seize the Planet-score as a benchmark for future environmental food labeling
- Correct the info referring to the ecological impression of products and right the biases current within the official Agribalyse database.
(1) Sayari, Very good future